Blueberries and Bossa Nova
I don’t know what has happened to me. Somehow, in the last month I’ve become hooked on baking. I have to say that this new hobby doesn’t necessarily mix well with my focus on health and fitness but I am trying to make them work together.
I am working on a three-step system to allow me to bake to my heart’s content while staying fit:
First, I try to find healthy recipes to bake.
Second, I give most of my baked goods away.
Third, I don my fancy headphones and dance while I bake!
This week, it was Blueberry-Oatmeal Muffins and Ultra-Lounge/Cha-Cha De Amour
The following recipe is built from an oatmeal muffin recipe that I have made a few times but changed quite a bit to meet the request of my biggest fan – my husband.
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup buttermilk
¾ cup Nutri flour blend
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
¾ tsp baking soda
½ tsp nutmeg
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
6 tbsp melted unsalted butter
1 cup frozen organic wild blueberries
½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine oats and buttermilk; let stand for 30 minutes.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg together. Set aside.
- Stir in eggs. Add brown sugar, butter and flour mixture. Stir until just combined. Batter will be lumpy. Fold in blueberries and walnuts.
- Spoon into prepared muffins tins, filling about 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle with oats and sugar if desired.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
Makes about 12 muffins.
Do you have a favourite muffin recipe? And do you dance along while baking too? What are you favourite baking tunes?
Check back next week to find out which Martha Stewart recipes have been helping me make new friends.